Friday, February 6, 2015

"Plus size"

As a 17 year old young woman, I am constantly growing. It's safe to say my weight is always fluctuating up and down, one month I am one size, the other I am the next. I think that we are all a little too consciencious of the extra 5 pounds that snuck up on us, or the cookie we had for lunch, but we shouldn't have to be. We all have different body shapes and sizes, I believe that is something to embrace and celebrate about ourselves, it's what makes us unique. In the media especially, we are taught that the 110 pound, 6 foot 2 model is perfect. That is the concept of the "perfect woman" that society wants us to buy into, but that all changed this past Thursday. Sports Illustrated, a magazine well known for their slimmer bikini models has announced that their latest swimsuit edition will be dominated by Robyn Lawley, the first "Plus size" model to ever be in Sports Illustrated. Lawley looks stunning in a orange, printed bikini from her own line (Photo shown below), and is completely working it as a U.S. size 12. Although, the average woman in America is a size 12, this is step in the right direction for the media. Lawley even said in her interview with Time Magazine “I don’t know if I consider myself as a plus-size model or not, I just consider myself a model because I’m trying to help women in general accept their bodies. ” I don't believe there is any speculation in the fact that Robyn Lawley is stunning, but there is a question as to whether or not a normal sized, confident, beautiful woman is considered "Plus sized". Either way, this spread is one big leap forward for Sports illustrated and for curvy, beautiful, women everywhere. You are all Beautiful, no matter what shape or size.
Robyn Lawley, Sports Illustrated

No comments:

Post a Comment