Thursday, April 9, 2015

The Heart of the City

On April 6th I was invited to meet with the mayor of Watertown, Jeff Graham, and the rest of the Watertown City Council members. I was introduced by our Mayor as "Miss Watertown's Outstanding Teen, Cedar Chambers" and he gave me a quick opportunity to speak to the Council, and community members about my platform "You Are Beautiful". I then took a photo with the entire Council and thanked them for such a wonderful privilege. I remained throughout the duration of the Council meeting to hear the people speak when given "Privilege of the floor", which is a new term I learned. I listened to some of their thoughts and concerns about our city. As Miss Watertown's Outstanding teen I enjoyed being able to hear the opinions of the Watertown residents I represent, and be apart of the resolution. The next day I was thrilled to see that The Mayor had posted a picture of my visit on his blog and had also wished me good luck at Miss New York's Outstanding Teen, on April 11th, via radio. That night, a resident of Watertown who heard me speak at the council meeting, approached me at a school sporting event we both happened to attend, and told me what a nice job I did and also wished me "good luck" at my upcoming pageant. The positive response I have received from the leaders and members of my community has overwhelmed and encouraged me. I have never been more proud to be Miss Watertown's Outstanding Teen, and to have the ability to represent such wonderful people. I hope you will take advantage of the opportunity to attend a City Council meeting and see how your local government works and be an active member of your community.
                                       As Always, You Are Beautiful,
                                                                     Cedar Chambers
Displaying IMG_0699.JPG       
 Mayor Jeff Graham and me
 Displaying IMG_0701.JPG
   City Council Woman Teresa R. Macaluso
Displaying IMG_0702.JPG
left to right: Teresa R. Macaluso, Joseph M. Butler, Cedar Chambers (Me), Mayor Jeff Graham, Roxanne M. Burns, Stephen A. Jennings

No comments:

Post a Comment