Saturday, March 28, 2015

Princess For A Day

My life long dream as a little girl was to be a princess, I mean whose wasn't? I walked around in my light up, plastic, Cinderella heels and matching polyester ball gown, that I wore everywhere like my life depended on it. I knew that, in that moment, it was only pretend, but never in my wildest dreams would I imagine I had the opportunity to be a REAL princess. When I was asked to volunteer at a local elementary schools Frozen Ball as Elsa, I was at first hesitant. I didn't want my blonde wig to fall off, or to sing the wrong words to the famous "Let It Go". I was petrified, to be completely honest, but I knew the kids were counting on me.So on March 4th I put on my blonde braid, downed my aqua blue dress, tiara and sparkly silver slippers, and went to the ball.When I entered, on Olaf's arm of course, I heard all the children gasp all at once. I looked at all of their small faces gazing at me in amazement and knew I had made the right choice. The whole night I held the girls and boys hands and sang and danced to all of their favorite Frozen tunes. At the end of the night, before I had to make my great escape, I pulled all the little girls into a circle around me. I looked at all of them in their eyes and told them what gave a princess magic wasn't a wand, a crown, or a pretty dress, but the love inside their heart. I reminded them that everyone can be a princess. After I had gone home and long since taken off my wig and my dress, the wheels in my mind began to turn. Seeing how happy I, Elsa, had made all the children that night lead me to the realization that I could take this to a new level. I decided to create a fundraiser called "Lunch With Elsa" to benefit The Children's Miracle Network. With only the help of my mother, and mentor, Kathy Lettiere, we put the event together in less then two weeks. We reserved a venue, had it catered, received generous donations from a local bakery and fantastic DJ and even were able to have three other princesses, Tinkerbell, Jasmine and Belle, volunteer their time. The day of "Lunch With Elsa" we had a sold out crowd, tickets were even generously donated by companies and people so that children and families who couldn't afford to come, could have their lunch with Elsa too. As I walked into the venue, and the DJ played Let It Go, I felt wonderful, like a princess. The little girls and boys ran up to me and began to sing Let It Go as loud as they could along with me with smiles that could brighten any day. I knew in that moment that this was always what God had planned for me. I spent the whole day talking, dancing taking photos and ,of course, singing Frozen songs. When the lunch came to an end and all of our princess shoes had come off of our feet, I had a chance to talk to all the children, just one last time. I held the microphone in my hand and asked all the little girls to repeat after me, "I am special. I am important. I am beautiful and I am a princess." That day will be a day they will always remember because "Princess Elsa" told them that they are beautiful and they are a princess too.
                                           You Are Beautiful,
                                                              Cedar Chambers



Displaying IMG_0430.JPG


No comments:

Post a Comment